(ec) essential connection magazine: Swifter, Higher, Stronger (or in my case, slower, lower, weaker)







Monday, August 18, 2008

Swifter, Higher, Stronger (or in my case, slower, lower, weaker)

Emily here. I can’t believe the Olympics only have a week left to go. Have you been watching the games? It seems like these particular Olympic Games have been extra exciting. Maybe it’s all the political controversy, or maybe it’s all of Michael Phelps’ gold medals (and extremely low-slung swim suits). At any rate, Olympic athletes have been preparing for these games for years, maybe even their whole lives, and in less than a week, the competitions to be the best in their field will be over. Olympic bragging rights in these sports can’t be earned for another four years.

Think back to your childhood. Do you remember watching the Olympics and deciding you were going to be an Olympian when you grew up? I remember watching the gymnasts and thinking it would be so glamorous to perform the perfect routine and hear the crowd roar for me. (Actually, any opportunity for a crowd to scream my name sounded good to me!) But when I actually started taking gymnastics, I realized that my body couldn’t do all the things I wanted it to. I wasn’t very good on the uneven bars. (To this day, my upper body strength leaves a lot to be desired.) I was afraid of breaking my neck doing back handsprings. (It took me two years to master that skill.) Basically, my favorite part of gymnastics was when my parents came to pick me up. That, and when the coach would let us jump in the foam pit. But every time the Olympics came on, I was inspired again. I just didn’t have the follow through, the stick-to-itiveness like the true athletes.

Now here’s the spiritual application (yes, I know you know it’s coming): Today’s devotion is about imitation. There are lots of folks (even some Olympic athletes) out there who are inspiring and make you want to imitate them. There are also LOTS of people who shouldn’t be imitated. Philippians 4:8 tells us the general things we should be imitating. So measure your role models against that standard and see how they stack up.

I wish that imitating Jesus was as easy as watching Olympians swim/tumble/dive/bike/row their hearts out from the comfort of our living rooms. But it takes work. (See Hebrews 6:11-12.) Like an athlete, you have to be diligent and watch what you take into your body, what you do, and what you think. You have to push through pain and decide that you are going to improve. Sticking with it, whether it’s a grueling practice schedule, a yucky diet, or an unbearable teammate, is vital to an Olympic athlete. It is for you too. While an Olympian is working toward a medal to win the accolades and 15 minutes of fame (plus possible endorsement deals), you as a Christian are working toward being like Jesus. And that relationship you develop with Jesus as you work to be like Him will last for eternity. Trust me; that’s a whole lot longer than 15 minutes.
—Emily, ec's production editor

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Sparkman said...

I have been glued to the Olympics...and I needed to hear these words. Thanks.

August 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home