(ec) essential connection magazine: THANKS giving







Monday, November 23, 2009

THANKS giving

On Thursday, Americans of all walks of life will likely sit down for a festive meal of turkey, cranberry sauce, dressing, and all the rest. But if you think back to that first day of thanksgiving celebrated in 1621 by the pilgrims at Plymouth, you'll be struck by something that mostly missing from many of our contemporary Thanksgiving celebrations: actual thanksgiving to God.

The pilgrims celebrated thanksgiving all those years ago because it was part of their custom. They had finished the harvest and wanted to thank God for the blessings He had bestowed upon them. To these early settlers, a Day of Thanksgiving was primarily a religious holiday. Their thanksgiving wasn't about being thankful for stuff, but rather being thankful for a God who loved them and had blessed them by taking care of their every need.

Thanksgiving became a tradition in the U.S. in 1863, but it wasn't until 1941 that it became an official holiday. Today, we're inviting you to think back to that first Day of Thanksgiving and to thank God for the things He's done this year. Share some of your thankful posts in the comments section.

To get you started, here's some of mine:
• I'm thankful for a job that more than meets my needs, especially during a year that has been financially rough on many of my friends and family.
• I'm thankful that God is always faithful, has never left me, and daily reminds me that I am dearly loved.
• I'm thankful for the blessing of a vacation to New England in October. I needed the time to rest, relax, and revel in the God who designed the seasons and knows me by name.
• I'm thankful for my friends and family.
• I'm thankful for the favor God has shown this magazine.

So what are you thankful for? Sound off!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Essence said...

I'm thankful that when it seems like I won't get what I need, God always steps in at the last second to save the day. I'm thankful that
God has kept me safe when I travel at nigh alone in Chicago after my math class. I'm thankful that I have food, proper clothes, and enough to give to others who don't have what I have. I'm just thankful to God for life :D

November 23, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home