(ec) essential connection magazine: Music Minute







Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Music Minute

I don't know about y'all, but I can REALLY relate to Emily's post below. I'm the total polar opposite of her working style - total right-brainer - but I still have a lot of trouble dealing with change. (Not the "coin" variety, either.) So don't be thinking "that's not me" just because you aren't a planner. Unexpected events seem to be part of the way God works. Run with it!

So what's new? I became a Christian back in the 90s, and I get easily distracted by bands that I've been listening to for ages.

Sixpence

So I'll get that out of the way first - new stuff from Sixpence None the Richer hit the stores last month, and I've gotta give them a little shout-out. The Dawn of Grace is a Christmas album - both traditional and original songs - and Christmas is my favorite time of year, so I like this a lot. The simple arrangements and Leigh Nash's clear voice make this album a tasty musical treat. And check out Mere Christianity if you've never read it; it's where the band gets its name. We like Silent Night.

Sixpence None The Richer - The Dawn of Grace - Silent Night

Orlando rockers Anberlin range in age from 16 to 26 and bring all kinds of musical influences to the table - The Smiths, The Cure, Jeff Buckley, and a little dose of Southern rock thrown in for good measure. Their latest album, New Surrender, is a mash-up of these influences, combined with an indie-rock attitude. We like Breaking.

Anberlin - New Surrender - Breaking

What we're looking forward to: Screamo fans will like Emery - definitely harder than your typical Christian rock, but not punishing. If punk is your thing, check these boys out. On October 28 they release While Broken Hearts Prevail. Fans of My Chemical Romance will like Edge of the World. We're hoping the rest of the album is as good as this song.

Mandisa releases a Christmas album November 20.

What we don't like: Raking leaves, pumpkin guts, and having to wake up before sunrise.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home