(ec) essential connection magazine: Change your mind







Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Change your mind

“I changed my mind.” Some days, that could be my slogan. I change my mind often—about my clothes, about music, about stories to include in an issue of ec, about people.

Not long ago, I was listening to the radio and heard a lyric from a John Mayer song: “It’s been a long time since 22.” And believe it or not, it has been awhile since age 22 for me, and those simple words called me into an unexpected time of remembering and evaluating.

I was 22 when I moved to Nashville, Tenn., the city in which this magazine is published. I was getting my master’s degree and working as an intern/temporary worker in the communications department of a large corporation. The things that were of utmost importance to me were my family, myself and my needs, and my friends. God was in there somewhere, and I desperately wanted to seek His will and do what He wanted, but with the 20/20 vision of hindsight, I can identify a lot of selfishness in my 22-year-old self.

In those moments of contemplation about me at 22, I realized that my mind has changed since then—in a good way. I’m not exactly the same person I was then. I’ve grown up, and so has my faith. Through the eyes of that faith, I can see the path that God has led me along. I can see the things He’s called me to give up so that I could have His better plan. I can identify my selfishness sooner now and know that it’s not a characteristic that should define me because I have been given the mind of Christ.

You have it, too. If you are a Christian, you have the mind of Christ, meaning you have the ability to see the world through the eyes of faith, to follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and to recognize and trust God’s wisdom instead of the world’s. Because the fact is, as a Christ follower, you’re going to face opposition in this world. The Devil is real, and he’s ready for battle. You’re going to face battles of the mind, of complacency, and even against lies, like the idea that your faith is just part of your life. 

This month, it’s time to recognize these things and grow up in your faith. You don’t grow in your relationship with Jesus and become more spiritually mature without effort. You have the mind of Christ, but you have to let Him use it. You have to let Him use you and change you, sometimes on a moment-by-moment basis. Learn the basics of growing in relationship with Him in Donovan Fredricksen’s cover story on page 26. Learn about the armor of God, the mind of Christ, and the power He’s already given you in this month’s devotions. Understand the things He values, like purity (p. 16) and stewardship (p. 62).

This month, get to know Jesus. In the month of love, let His love overwhelm you. Invest in your relationship with Him. Above all, let Him change your mind. As often as necessary.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home