(ec) essential connection magazine: A day late and a dollar short







Monday, May 12, 2008

A day late and a dollar short

So yesterday was Mother's Day (the 100th anniversary, btw!) and here at the ec offices, we're still thinking about our moms. While we may be late to the party in talking about how wonderful mothers are, it's never too late to let your mom know how much you appreciate her and the way she loves you. So take a glimpse at our thoughts on Mother's Day and go tell you mom exactly what you love about her! (GO!)

Emily says: “My mom is great. She’s super fun, organized, beautiful, kind, and loving (but maybe I’m biased). I think my favorite memories of her involve her dancing around the living room. On those rare nights that we were all at home and weren’t exhausted from the day’s activities, she’d put on some music. That woman can dance to anything: Billy Joel, Motown, disco; and she was just so full of life and energy that I’d sometimes have to stop and watch her. She was so into her dancing that she didn’t notice that I was studying her moves so I could bust them out myself one day. And once we were breathless from all the dancing and jumping and singing, she’d usually get a craving for chocolate and go whip us up a batch of her homemade brownies. Those were great nights!”

Mandy says: “This year, I actually wrote a little letter for my mom (which I'll give her when I see her on Memorial Day weekend, so keep it under wraps until then!) and I'd like to share it with you. Here goes: It’s a good thing to have someone who believes in you more than you believe in yourself, and you’ve always been that to me. You didn’t know you were having twins; you didn’t know that there wouldn’t be a day you wouldn’t worry about us. But you loved us, even when we were wrong, unrepentant, and just plain stupid. You’re the woman who taught me about laughing at yourself, striving to better the things you don’t like in yourself, and serving God by serving others. You loved me even when I didn’t deserve it, which in turn, helped me to understand a little more of the way God loves me. Sometimes I’m impatient, just like you. Sometimes, I worry too much, just like you. Sometimes I think that I’m too much like you, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Thank you for loving me with abandon and no matter what. Thank you for modeling love in those long days with Grandma at the nursing home and that seemingly endless vigil at her side last August after that final stroke. Thank you for being the one who held my hand at her funeral and empowered me with your own strength once again, just like when I was little. Thank you for being the mom you are. The one who loves me still when I’m wrong, unrepentant, or just plain stupid—and not being afraid to tell me when I am. I looked at a picture of us today on my refrigerator, smiles almost alike. And I laughed and heard an echo of you in it. Thank you for teaching me about laughter, life, and depending on God.

Saying thank you is always a good thing. Think about some things you'd like to thank your mom for. Then go tell her. Make her Mother's Day last a little longer this year! :) She deserves it!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home