(ec) essential connection magazine: Unfamiliar Territory







Monday, September 8, 2008

Unfamiliar Territory

Have you ever found yourself in a situation in which you were asked to do something that forced you completely outside of your comfort zone? One time, I was at a karaoke birthday party at a friend’s house when I was pulled out of the crowd, given a microphone, and cajoled into singing a duet with my boyfriend. I do not sing, so this was particularly humiliating for me. But other people couldn’t get enough of hearing themselves on the microphone that night. I just wasn’t one of them.

But that’s kind of the gist of this whole post (and the articles on page 34 and 52 in this month’s issue). We’re all completely different. God made us that way so that we’re not all fighting for the microphone but we’re not all happy to be spectators either. What things do you love to do that your parents/friends don’t seem to understand? What activities do they enjoy that make you completely uncomfortable?

I’d never have thought that my ability to make a way-too-detailed plan would serve me well, but it’s an ability that kind of freaks out my less-organized friends. When a problem comes up, I’ve usually already thought of alternate options because I anticipated the problem. People are surprised that I even had a contingency plan when it comes through in the clutch. I chalk it up to my spiritual gift of Administration, which comes in pretty handy both at work and in planning to lead my sophomore girls small group at church. While this “gift” may frighten some of the more creatively-minded free spirits in the world, if we were all messy or all neat, this world would be pretty mundane, don’t you think?

So I ask you, what are you good at? Do you know your spiritual gifts? Have you started looking for places to serve that make the best use of your unique combination of gifts and abilities? God doesn’t expect just people your parents’ age to take care of the church. But maybe keeping the nursery like your mom, feeding the homeless like your friend, or greeting newcomers like your dad doesn’t interest you. What can you do?

Here are a few suggestions:
Do you like to cook? Offer to bring some homemade snacks to youth group to save your youth minister some money that would normally be spent on food.
Do you like to play sports? Volunteer to play on the church softball/basketball/soccer team.
Are you patient? Ask how you can serve in the nursery or elementary Sunday School classes.
Do you love to act? Ask your pastor about serving (or starting!) a drama ministry in your church.
Do you make good grades because you really understand what you’re learning? Offer to tutor friends or younger students for free.

Get creative! God wants to use you, so don’t waste the gifts and abilities He’s given you.
First Timothy 4:12 says that young people should set the example for others to follow. But don’t think that you have to minister in the exact same way as everyone else. You might be surprised where you’ll meet God when you start to serve Him in unfamiliar territory.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home