(ec) essential connection magazine: Snippets and Soundbites







Thursday, October 23, 2008

Snippets and Soundbites

  • You’ve probably heard. High School Musical 3 comes out in theaters this weekend. It’s predicted to be one of the biggest box office openings of October. HSM 3 has 10 musical numbers and the plotline surrounds the Wildcats’ graduation. You loved the songs “We’re All in This Together” in the first movie and “I Don’t Dance” in the second. Now you can learn all the tunes in the third movie. We know you’re excited. Test your knowledge of High School Musical with this quiz.
  • Some people are afraid to fly in airplanes. I guess they’re worried it might crash. My fears are calmed when I think about how many millions of people fly each day and that you almost never hear about an accident. To get a better idea of how many people fly, watch this YouTube video. It shows the world’s air traffic over 24 hours. It’s really cool! Notice what areas are especially lighted up (naturally, the U.S. has LOTS of flights) and what areas aren’t lit up at all.
  • Do you still trick-or-treat? By the time I was in seventh grade, I stopped making the rounds for candy because I felt too old. But there are still a lot of teens that love to put on costumes and knock on people’s doors. Well, there’s a town in Illinois that has banned teens 9th grade and up from trick-or-treating. Apparently there were complaints about teenagers ringing doorbells after 9 p.m. on Halloween night. So now they’re not allowed to be out unless they’re helping a younger sibling. Read the story here.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the new format for EC magazine. I'm a youth minister and have read EC for years as a part of my daily time with God, and so I can know what my kids are reading, and I especially like the way you have changed the devotions. Putting it all in one column and throwing in the questions in the middle really makes you think about what you've just read and apply it to your own life.

This is the first time I've been on the website. Is this the main website for EC? I didn't see a web address on the magazine itself - at least not where it is obvious. I saw the address for the blogspot on Facebook on p. 63 on the subscription form. Are the actual daily devotions online somewhere? Just wondering.

Thanks for the work you do! God bless you as you seek to be relevant to our teenagers with the awesomeness of our God, and encourage them to grow as followers of Jesus.

Deborah Lockey
Newport, North Carolina
Youth Minister
First Baptist Church, Morehead City

November 12, 2008 at 7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home