(ec) essential connection magazine: Music Minute







Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Music Minute

What's new: Dock me a point for being tardy this week, will you? I've been rushing around trying to finish a project, and...well, first the cat ate my homework, then I got stuck in traffic, and I washed it in the laundry, and I couldn't—

(crash)
(thud)

Ahem. Um, don't make excuses for being late. Most of the time, it doesn't matter why you were late (note: there are times in your life when it WILL matter, and part of your job is figuring out when it does and when it doesn't). It's important to ME to figure out why I was late so I don't do it again, but it's probably not really important to you. Make sense?

(And also, I just remembered that this morning when I left my apartment, I left the dryer door open and I REALLY hope the cats are not asleep in there on my laundry. Maybe I need to get it together this week, huh?)

New stuff this time from Salvador and Julian Drive.

What we like: Julian Drive released My Coming Day last month, and you should check it out. If you like Coldplay, JD's lovely mix of power pop, guitar, and vocals will make you happy. There's a lot to like on this album (last time we mentioned "Cry"). A standout is "The Reason" - yes, that's a cover of Hoobastank's hit! These guys add emotional depth, sparkle and power to an already-cool song. Check it out.

Julian Drive - My Coming Day

Nashville-based jam band Salvador released Aware on February 3. (A jam band is a band who doesn't really have a set list for playing live - they just "jam" or improvise, and it's different for every show. Even the band doesn't know what's next. One classic example is The Grateful Dead.) Salvador's pop-worship sound will stay with you long after the record stops spinning. We like the title track.

Salvador - Aware

PS: you can follow them on Twitter, too - just look for @salvadormusic.

What's coming up: New stuff from Decyfer Down is due out next week. Fans of Skillet, POD, and U2 will like their sound - it's big, heavy rock music with substance. We've listened to a little at their MySpace page and what we've heard, we like. Check out "Crash," the title song from their upcoming album.

Decyfer Down - Crash Digital - EP

What we don't like: Valentine's Day jewelry ads on TV, meatloaf (SORRY MOM), and uh, forgetting things.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home