(ec) essential connection magazine: Intentionality







Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Intentionality

My life feels out of control. How ‘bout yours? In between cross-country trips, a funeral, crazy-busyness at work, and training for a half-marathon, I learned a few days ago that a friend of mine has cancer. She’s 15. 15! When I was 15, I was worried about how my hair looked, the current pimple on my face, and if any guys liked me. I did not have to suddenly think about chemo treatments and surgery and how my parents were going to explain my diagnosis to my little sisters. But my sweet little friend is having to face all of this.

So while all that’s on my mind, I’ve found it very easy to spend more time in prayer. I’m constantly going to God because I’m worried about my friend. I’ve got something very real, very current in my life to pray about, so it’s easy to be intentional about talking to Him.

But it’s not always like that. I can remember being frustrated with myself recently because I didn’t feel like I’d thought about God all day, except for during my short quiet time that morning. Hopefully you read last week’s devotions in ec and want to be intentional in your prayer life but don’t know what to say. We know you’re busy, and we hope you don’t have any terrible situations in your life that are driving you into God’s presence through prayer every chance you get. But if you are looking for some ways to put some effort into your most important relationship, here are some things God would love to talk about with you (the list is endless, but these are just some that you may not have thought of):

• If you ever feel lonely and why
• Why you’re thankful for your best friend
• What plans you should make for the weekend
• How happy you are to have done so well on that test or quiz
• Your crush/significant other
• What scares you
• That teacher or coach you can’t stand
• The concept you just don’t get in class

Can’t think of a time to talk to God because your planner is packed? Try turning some of these situations into quick prayer times:
• While you’re changing classes
• Riding or driving to school
• Waiting in line in the cafeteria
• In the shower
• While you’re heating up something in the microwave
• Waiting for a page/video/picture to load on the Internet

Feel free to leave us a comment about some new topics and random places/times you've found to pray. Other readers will appreciate the help!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home