(ec) essential connection magazine: Graduation







Monday, May 17, 2010

Graduation


Lately, on Facebook, nearly everyone I know has posted something about attending a graduation ceremony, being proud of a graduate, or expressing encouragement and prayers for a soon-to-be graduate. Yesterday at church, we honored the high school and college graduates in our congregation. May is the month of graduations and if I'm hearing a lot about graduation, then that must be all you talk about since you're actually IN high school.

But if you're graduating or have a close friend or family member who is graduating, I'm going to let you in on a few graduation secrets. Ready?

1. The things I remember about every graduation ceremony I've been a part of aren't the big moments. I remember what I wore to my high school graduation, where I sat, and the faces of certain people in the crowd that I didn't expect to be there. I remember how I felt: nervous, excited, and apprehensive, and a tiny bit scared. I remember hanging out with friends at my house later that day and loving every minute of it. So if you're graduating, strive to capture those little moments and not brush right past them. If you're a close friend of someone who is graduating, take some time to have some of those special moments with your friend in the days before and after the momentous occasion.

2. Graduation can be a high stress event. Which means it helps to acknowledge that, understand that, and make an effort to figure out how you're going to handle the stress before it happens. I'll tell you this: I don't always handle stress well. On the day of my high school graduation, I was extremely nervous (I had to give a speech), incredibly emotional, and feeling hurried and harried. My twin brother and I had to be at the school early and I drove. And we got in a HUGE argument on the way there, that ended only when we got to school, and I think we were both still mad. It's one of the most vivid memories I have of my high school graduation and one of the things I most wish I could rewind and do over. Because I can't even remember what we were fighting over now, but I do know it wasn't important. If I had acknowledged my stress and anxiety and allowed the Holy Spirit to be in control, I don't think that moment would have happened. So if you're graduating, understand it's OK to feel stressed, but you don't have to let it rule you. Be aware of the things that stress you out and prayerfully seek Jesus' leadership in how you respond. If you're close friends with someone who is graduating, know that this is a stressful time for your friend. Give him or her the benefit of the doubt. Even better, seek to do what you can to alleviate his/her stress!

3. This is a big deal. Enjoy it. Graduation is a big deal. You've accomplished something important and it is a milestone moment in your life. Don't downplay that! Despite that fight with my brother, my high school graduation is fixed in my mind as a very good day and part of that is because we had a party/reception at our house afterward and tons of people came. We celebrated, laughed, talked, ate, and just had a good time with friends, family, and people we didn't even expect to show up. Don't let the big moments in your life pass you by or pretend you're too cool to enjoy them. You only get to experience your high school graduation once!

4. Graduation is a weird moment in your life. You graduate high school and you feel all accomplished and grown up, even independent. So what do you do the next day when your mom tells you to do some chore? Part of growing up is becoming an independent person who doesn't depend on his or her parents for everything and graduation is a big moment in that process. But it also doesn't give you free reign to disrespect or mock your parents. They are your parents, honor them. (And you can take that up with God because that's HIS command.) If you're graduating, understand that you're going to have conflicting emotions. You feel grown up and independent, but you're still under the control of your parents. It's OK and normal to feel that way. If you're close friends with someone who is graduating, know that your friend might have these conflicting emotions and be prepared to listen, but also to speak the Truth of God into his/her life if he/she needs it.

For some graduation fun, check out page 51 of the May issue of ec. For more thoughts on graduation, go here.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home