(ec) essential connection magazine: A plea for Thanksgiving







Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A plea for Thanksgiving



Emily, ec's trusty production editor, here. Ready for another confession?

I’ll be honest with you. I got a little angry yesterday in the grocery store when I heard “The Christmas Song (chestnuts roasting on an open fire)” playing over the speakers. Now don’t get me wrong; I love that song. But only when it’s played at the appropriate time. As a person who loves the anticipation of a holiday almost as much as the holiday itself, I get frustrated when I am forced to listen to music or look at decorations that don’t apply to the holiday at hand. And for now, that holiday is Thanksgiving. Ah, Thanksgiving, the only chance for turkeys to be made out of something besides, well, turkey. See what I mean?




Someone has to stand up for what’s right, and if I’m alone in this, then so be it. I have to make a case for Thanksgiving. This poor holiday gets crammed in between Halloween and Christmas, relegated to single day instead of a season of gratitude by most Americans. Retail stores overlook it completely. (Well, except for stores like Williams Sonoma, which are completely dedicated to the art of food preparation and consumption. Kind of like my family. Observe:)



And I adore Thanksgiving, so I’m especially protective of it. What’s not to love about a holiday that centers on food (something else I adore), and then gives you an opportunity to tell people what you’re thankful for and why without the usual awkwardness? Yes, there are no presents to exchange or sentimental decorations to put up, but can’t Thanksgiving be enjoyed without being encroached upon by the two holidays that sandwich it?

Now to those of you who started listening to Christmas music back in September, I’ll agree that Christmas should be anticipated and celebrated with gusto. And I’ll be more than happy to do that just as soon as I’ve polished off my plate of Thanksgiving leftovers next Thursday night.

Who’s with me on this? Let me know by responding to the quiz below by putting your answer and why you chose it in a comment:

a.) I’m with you! Thanksgiving must be protected at all costs!
b.) I like Thanksgiving, but it’s the whole season of all the holidays that I enjoy. I don’t care which one is celebrated when. Let ‘em overlap!
c.) Thanksgiving is a boring holiday. I’d prefer to skip it and get extra days off at Christmas.
d.) I think this is a crazy idea. Just be glad the grocery store was playing music that had words.
e.) Thanksgiving gets plenty of attention as it is.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm definitely choosing A, because I totally agree! Poor Thanksgiving isn't necessarily forgotten about, but more like neglected. And the Christmas music does needs to wait until after Thanksgiving, because that gives me something FANTASTIC to look forward to! Plus, I won't have to get sick of listening to it for like 3 months. haha. (:

November 19, 2008 at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home