(ec) essential connection magazine: Thoughts on the March issue







Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Thoughts on the March issue

I love the church. I love God’s people. I love being part of a family, especially since most of my immediate family lives no less than four hours away. I love shared meals, hallway hugs, quiet conversations when someone knows you’re hurting, and being united in purpose and passion. I love knowing that I’m surrounded by people who know and love the same God who has saved me and aren’t afraid to sing His praises at the top of their lungs.

But when I was in high school, the local church I loved almost broke my heart. Things that shouldn’t have been said were. Gossip reigned. People I knew, loved, and respected said and did things I didn’t expect or respect. Agendas and plans became more important than people. And instead of displaying God’s love and hope to our community, we put on a pretty good display of sinfulness. Why would anyone want to be a Christian when we can’t even love each other?

That’s a question that resounds all around the world. How are believers supposed to be light in a dark world when we can’t even get along? There are things that happened in that time of disunity in that church that frankly still hurt when I think about them. It took me a long time to forgive and to realize that God could even use that situation to grow me up in Him, but it still doesn’t excuse the carelessness with which we all treated the bride of Christ, His church.

I contend that you cannot read the New Testament and come away believing that the church isn’t important to God. It’s what Jesus died for; it’s the way God has chosen to reach the world with His message of hope. I’ve heard it said that “you can’t love Jesus and hate His wife,” a reference to the church as the bride of Christ. There’s truth in that. If you love Jesus, you want to be with His people and work to see His mission fulfilled on earth. And you can’t do that alone.

That’s what this issue of ec is all about: the church. This world may say that church isn’t relevant, but we at ec don’t agree. Just read Amanda Jensen’s article on page 26. We also realize that the church isn’t perfect, because those of us who make it up aren’t perfect, either. Just check out Randy Fields’ story on page 45 for more about that. This issue of ec is full of articles, devotions, and even quotes designed to help you realize the kind of life God has called you to live and the people with whom He has called you to live out your faith—the church.

Remember this: Christians aren’t perfect, but Jesus is. Make Him your focus and see how it changes your church.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home